Thursday, February 26, 2009

DIY love!

I've never really been much of a DIYer with the exception of some home decor & gifts a few years ago, however this past year I fell in love with a lamp at Pottery Barn and thanks to my budget and the suggestion of a friend I embarked on my first DIY adventure and loved my $35 version (vs. the beloved PB original @ $170). (i'll post pictures of inspiration vs. my version soon!)

Well now I'm inspired again, this is particularly exciting because it combines a whole bunch of things that I love into two fabulous projects. As my friends and family know I have a tea cup (particularly antique china) and cake plate love affair (read: minor obsession). I have an old tea set from my mom that is white with cobalt blue and it's piecey and has suffered some chips that's pretty much just sitting around in my buffet cabinet. I also have a really cute pink plate that i loved too much to not buy last year at Anthropologie and since then I've been restricting myself on more of the same type of purchases as really i don't need them... until now!

I was surfing through a favorite website of mine for inspiration for something completely different but I am so excited about what i found and as it turns out now I'm super inspired to put all these loves of mine to good use.

I've been wanting a chandelier for my bathroom but not wanting to shell out $300+ for a decent one. So what better than to make one myself? And use some of my teacups while i'm at it!?


And I've also decided recently to start collecting cake plates - not for the sake of collecting them but more because i love them so much and so why not buy the ones that sing to me? I want one for my bathroom to just hold a variety of lovely soaps - preferably in pretty packages and delicious scents. And I've got one in my living room that matches one of my favorite tea cups and has chocolates and cookies on it at all times. So how brilliant are these cake plates made of lovely plates and tea cups and glasses!? Too many of these would be a bit gauche but i think one made of strategically chosen plates and glasses would be a welcome addition in my home.

Ok so stay tuned as I've got the DIY bug and I've got more ideas to post about, and I'll be sure to post my own versions as soon as I've got them done!

No comments:

Post a Comment